Monday, February 8, 2010

So long, theme #1

Before I ever met my boyfriend, I already had various ideas and themes for a wedding going on in my head. I had it narrowed down to three different scenarios and figured that whenever I became engaged that my fiancĂ© would say, “I pick option A (or B or C),” and then I’d just roll with it from there. And I suspect that my boyfriend would still be okay with that. (He’s already said that I should just plan whatever I want and let him know when to show up.) But I’m already trying to come up with a plan that better represents the two of us. Yet I’m still attached to some of my previous scenarios. Aaagh!

Since I may have to say farewell to some of these ideas, I figure I’ll at least let them see the light of day before they die away (from my wedding plans). So, without further ado, here is option 1!



A swing night. The rehearsal dinner would have a swing lesson, with a possible refresher class and/or some professional dancers doing a show during the reception. A live band would be ideal, though a DJ could get us by in a crunch. But I would like it to have the feel of a 1940s dance hall, just bursting with energy. A cocktail from that era would be the signature drink for the evening. I’d like more traditional, classy flowers like calla lilies, tulips, roses, etc. Tables would have names like Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Count Basie, Artie Shaw, etc. And the wedding favor could be a cd with tracks played during the reception.

This reception style would not be that great if there are a large number of uncouple people as it is difficult to dance to this style of music without a partner. And since the whole point of this wedding would be the dancing, and my boy’s not much of a dancer, I don’t see this in our future. Goodbye swing wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment